A growing list of all the things I’m excited to see this year! It’s gonna be a great year in Geek Culture…
- Powerless (February 2) –The pilot shown at Comic Con last year was super fun…but it’s been revamped for network television, which I think was a questionable move. But Abed is in it!
- Lego Batman Movie (February 10)
- Legion (February 8) –Holy moly is this show good. Where Iron Fist is everything wrong with comic book shows, this show is everything so, so right.
- John Wick 2 (February 10)
- Get Out (February 24)
- Logan (March 3)
- T2 Trainspotting (March 3)
- Iron Fist (March 18) …review to come
- Ghost in the Shell (March 31) <–this one is more than a little problematic, but it still makes the list
- American Gods (April 30) –The adaptation long in the waiting. It’s going to be fantastic, Ian McShane is in it.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 (May 5) –Why isn’t it May 5 NOW?
- Star Trek Discovery (May…Maybe?) – This show should save the world. CBS keeps trying really hard to fuck it up.
- Wonder Woman (June 2) –AND WHY ISN’T IT JUNE 2 NOW?!
- World War Z (June 9)
- Game of Thrones (July 17) -I know this isn’t new but I’m SO EXCITED.
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (July 7) –I’m not super thrilled for this one like I get for Avengers or Cap, but I’m still gonna see it opening weekend, don’t get me wrong.
- War for the Planet of the Apes (July 14) – a vastly under appreciated series, critics love it, it seems kind of meh for audiences though
- Dunkirk (July 21) –All things Christopher Nolan will be watched, potential for LOVE. The trailer and footage that’s been released so far look incredible
- Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (July 21) –I’m not sure what to make of this movie yet. Luc Besson is one of my favorite directors, The Professional (aka Leon) and The Fifth Element being some of my all time faves, but Cara Delvinge makes me hesitate to fall for this one.
- The Dark Tower (July 28) –As with all beloved book adaptations, this one causes me a lot of anxiety. But Idris Elba though. I think the direction they’re taking it in is wise, *spoiler if you haven’t read the book or obsessively read every detail leaked from the set********* I like the concept of it being Roland’s latest loop after the books rather than a rehash of the seven novels we’ve already read *************
- Baby Driver (August 11)
- IT (September 8) –NOPE
- Blade Runner 2049 (October 6) –High hopes based on the teaser trailer
- Kingsman 2: The Golden Circle (October 6) – Colin Firth is slated to return so I’m back in for this one.
- Alien: Covenant (October 6) –bear with me here, I am not good at scary movies. However, I’ll venture closer if one of them starts getting great reviews (Cabin in the Woods) or features some of my favorite writers and directors. So I had to see Prometheus and I’m one person who really liked it. I’ll see this one too, wait three days to stop having nightmares, and then let you know what I thought. 🙂
- God Particle (October 27) –It’s JJ Abrams, expect a mystery box and lens flares and a potentially unsatisfying conclusion (that I will LOVE)
- Thor: Ragonorok (November 3) –I wasn’t a fan of the first Thor (except for Coulson, because I love Coulson), and Thor: The Dark World is particularly forgettable. But Taika Waititi is winning me over with his new look for Thor and his social media presence.
- Justice Leage (November 17) –I have a confession to make. I love DC comics. Of course the movies from the DCEU have NOT been up to my expectations, though I think they get a lot more hate than they actually deserve. But between Wonder Woman and the little bits of Justice League we’ve seen so far…I’m still excited and cautiously optimistic for this film. I also hope they fire Zack Snyder based on the backlash to his presence alone. I’m sick of the blind Snyder-verse hate, it’s exhausting.
“I dig it”
- Murder on the Orient Express (November 22)
- Star Wars Episode VII: The Last Jedi (December 25)
Release Dates TBD: The Defenders
Did I miss anything?